Little Wife On the Prairie





When you are everything to everyone, well, you had better act like you have it all together.



Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Ready for the green!

Oh yes, it's that time!!!  Thanks to Seed Savers and Baker Creek for the delicious varieties of heirloom produce.  I would highly recommend ordering their catalogs for next year.  They are always beautiful and so welcome in the grey cold of January.

 I am so anxious to grow something that I tried growing the end of my celery.  It does grow!  Not sure what the end result will be but it's nice to see green.

This is old faithful.  My precious starter pot of Sedum that Grandmother gave me years ago.  It always is the first thing to come back and I split it into different pots every year.  It grows like crazy!

The fun part about spring in a new home is seeing what pops up.  I wonder what this will be?

If anyone can tell me what this is, I would be very happy.  It's fern-like, grows on the ground and puts off these seed shoots (pictured in the upper left corner.)  It is all around here.  It may be a weed.

Whoo hoo for several different kinds of mint!  We will have lots of mint punch this summer!

I have been eye-balling this melon for a few seasons but never ordered it.  This year is the year.  I pray God is faithful in allowing these beauties to grow.

My brother and sister-in-law planted these one year and used them to make "pumpkin" pies.  They were the best I had ever had!  Can't wait to try them on my own.  





2 comments:

The Usletons said...

You're amazing! I wish I had the will power to plant things and see them through. The last time I planted something was about 2 years ago and it was just patio tomatoes. Gavin (at 2) sweetly brought some tiny little green tomatoes to me and said, "look, mom, balls!" Ugh! Those were the only tomatoes that ever developed! I'm excited to see how your purple melons turn out! They look lovely!

Molly said...

Rachelle, I think that little plant you think is a weed may be a ground cover called ice plant. I can't tell for sure but it looks like the little needle leaves are succulent...that really look like ice plant. My neighbor in Roswell had some in her yard, Nancy, across the street.